Monday, March 30, 2009

Exciting times

Isn't coffee a wonderful thing? I can go from drowsy and unproductive to up and at 'em in just a few sips. Brilliant!

(I fear I have become way too dependent on caffeine. Oh, well. I won't be weaning myself off today!)

Exciting things are happening in Melz World.

First, I'm halfway through the second season of Lost! I took a couple days break, but now I'm back at it.

Also, I'm on week five of Couch to 5K! I know! I can't believe I've stuck with it this long either!

Also, Jason and I volunteered at (and got free tickets to) a concert on Friday night. And not just any concert - The Gaithers.

You know the ones - infomercials full of old-time Gospel singers, sitting around in various venues singing songs that are even older than they are.

Now, Jason and I aren't huge fans of this genre of music, but it was to help a friend, and have something to do on a Friday night, and, well, these folks are talented.

We were originally supposed to work one of the merchandise tables, but we actually got a better job - handing out keychain lights and postcard advertisements at the furthest (and last to fill up) door.

While the other workers had to leave the concert and work during intermission and after the show, once we ran out - about the time the show started - we were free to enjoy ourselves.

In the hallway before the show, we saw several artists, walking around like normal folks.

We saw this guy:



(That's Michael English.)

And we saw this guy, hanging out at his merchandise table as the volunteers were being doled out:



(That's Russ Taff.)

And then, right before the show started, I saw the woman who had taken the volunteers around. She was walking really quickly and talking on a radio, and there were about five big, burly guys behind her. And in the midst of the group was this guy:



(That would be Bill Gaither.)

I grabbed Jason and was all, "Jason! Bill Gaither travels with bodyguards!" And he was all "He's probably sued so many people [for copyright infringement] that he never knows who he's going to run into."

The first segment of the concert had each of the different groups singing a set of songs. It lasted about two hours, and after intermission, the last hour was more on the lines of their "Homecoming" series - everyone onstage, singing really old songs.

Like I said, we aren't huge Southern Gospel fans, but they put on a good show. I haven't heard Jason laugh so much in a long time. Plus, did I mention we got in free?

Free is (almost) always good.

Friday was also the day that a very exciting project was born, one that I can't tell you about now but one that I PROMISE I'll tell you all about soon.

Very soon.

(No, I'm not pregnant.)

Perhaps the MOST exciting news of all - it's finally time for us to have a yard sale, so that means I get my dining room back this weekend! My darling husband got the bug to clean out the closet WEEKS ago, and the stuff has just been piled there ever since. I've even heard a rumor that he's getting Anna Marie to clean out a load of toys, and that makes this mom's heart want to SING!

Exciting times at Melz World. You better believe it, folks.

2 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

good luck with your yard sale.

Lissete said...

I sooooo need to have a yard sale too. I'm just too lazy to wake up early to do it!