Dude. We did it.
And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - MUCH less complicated than the recent Reading Fair fiasco.
I put together the internal structure - a Capri Sun box, opened to make a rough triangle, with cereal box cardboard covering the bottom and front and back openings; an oatmeal box for a head; and a toilet paper roll for a neck.
(And also an old makeup brush handle for a tail)
Here is the original:
He's Doctor Who's canine companion, who now lives with Sarah Jane (one of the Doctor's former companions). Anna Marie first saw him on The Sarah Jane Adventures, a Doctor Who-type show geared towards kids. She LOVES that show, and she can't wait for the new season to begin.
(Her dad has turned BOTH of us into sci-fi geeks, I suppose.)
And here is our version:
I explained to Anna Marie from the get-go that ours was not going to look like the original. We did the project on my bed, with the laptop showing the above original picture for reference. She was OK with the project, and its deviation from the norm.
We figure it'll be the only robot dog brought in today, and certainly the only one from a much-beloved British sci-fi show.
The only problem is, last night while we were searching for an image, she saw a radio-controlled model. Now, that's on her list - at $60!
Maybe I should've just made a Dalek instead. Maybe she wouldn't have thought them so cute!