Friday, October 27, 2006

Sometimes, my job is JUST NOT FUN


And sometimes, well, it just IS.

This morning I've experienced both.

I've written two stories about two murderers, one who killed his own three-year-old daughter just so he couldn't identify him to police for shooting the other people in the house. He wanted an appeal to his death sentence, and the state supreme court said, "Uh, no." Good on them.

I've also gotten invited to Madidi.

For those of you who don't know what that is, check out the picture at the top. Go on, I'll wait.

Back? Good. See that guy on the left side of the picture? Know who that is?

Ten points to those of you who figured out it's Morgan Freeman. (Except this is like Whose Line is it Anyway, and points don't matter. But good job!)

He lives in Clarksdale, Ms., for those of you who didn't know that already. He owns two restaurants down there - one is a blues club called Ground Zero, and the other is a French fine-dining type place called Madidi.

It will be the fanciest place I've ever eaten, and I don't even have to pay. In fact, I'm getting paid to go.

It's for a symposium on health, and since I'm a journalist, and since I also sat on the local board of our Mississippi in Motion program (ironic,no?) I've been invited.

We're going next month, and I don't even have to drive! I can ride with our local Extension Office agent! Sweet, huh?

I've already started scoping out the menu, but I don't know what they'll serve us.

And the next big decision - what to wear? I have the aforementioned black wrap dress, and the aforementioned black boots. That might be a possibility. Or, I might use the occasion as an excuse to buy something completely new and different.

And yes, I know the chances that Morgan Freeman will be on the premises are slim to none, but a friend of mine did spot him at his blues club once. So, there is always the possibility, especially since I'll be part of a big, important group.

Say it with me now: MADIDI!

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Super cool job opportunity!!!

Good for you! I love Morgan Freeman.
What a neat man!

Wear something simple and classic.
Enjoy that yummy food!
Can't wait to hear all aobut it!

Melissa said...

As much as I'd like to think I'm a "serious journalist" and all, it's opportunities like this - and like the fashion show I covered a few weeks ago - that I REALLY enjoy.

Almost makes sitting through the boring County Supervisors meetings worth it.

Almost.

Anonymous said...

lucky you!! have a great time & with any luck, you'll get a picture of yourself with Mr. Freeman!

Melissa said...

Ok, so a friend at church who used to work in Clarksdale was telling me about Madidi.

She said something about some risque art on the walls and the odd configuration of the chocolate cake and ice cream?

I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and find out what she's talking about.