Sunday, March 11, 2007

This isn't the post I'd planned on

But it isn't the post it could've been, either.

I was going to post about yesterday, about how we took Anna Marie to a nature center in Memphis and a good time was had by all.

Maybe I'll post that story tomorrow.

But today's post is a post of thankfulness.

My parents were late to church this morning, and I joked with them about not setting their clocks up.

Then my dad told me they'd had a rough night - seems that as Amanda was coming home, just before the exit, a drunk came over into her lane and sent her careening off the road and up an embankment.

And kept going.

She was fine. Her car is not.

She called my dad, and he came to check on her. He noticed another car a few feet up the road, pulled over.

You guessed it. The SUV that hit Amanda's Volkswagon.

There was one guy and two girls, and he was pretty obviously drunk. The only reason he'd stopped was because he hit Amanda so hard he blew a tire out.

He told my dad that someone had hit him.

When the state trooper arrived a couple of minutes later, my dad sent him down to talk to the other guy. My dad was afraid that they were getting ready to switch drivers.

They were. And the real driver was taken to jail.

The impact hit Amanda's car hard enough to knock the wheel off. Not the tire. The wheel. Dad went back today to try to find it, and it's just gone.

So, she's driving our Corsica for a while. I don't know if the idiot in the SUV had insurance or not. She had liability on the VW, but in Mississippi we're required to have uninsured and underinsured motorist. I guess we'll have to see what comes of that.

But for today, I'm just thankful. In a split second, my sister lost her car.

In that same second, if not for God, the rest of us could've lost much more.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

thanks be to God that Amanda is OK. good to be reminded of reasons to be thankful, isn't it?

Susie Q said...

Oh how awful for Amanda..how frightening for her, you and your folks. Thank you God for keeping her safe...just one of those moments in life that cause us to oause and realize how lucky we are.
I and so happy your sis is well...
Hugs,
Sue

Lissete said...

Thank God that Amanda is ok. I know that that must have been a very scary situation, but it does remind us to count our blessings. She was very fortunate. I hope the other driver gets more than a slap on the hand. I got in an accident w/ a drunk driver many years ago (He tried to get away too). About 5 yrs after the accident I get called to court because apparently he had caused 4 other accidents since then, and the last one had a fatality. So I guess they finally decided to do something about him!

doodlebugmom said...

Oh how scary! I am glad she is safe. Cars can be replaced.

Just a side note, she may be physically ok, but them memory of that happened is going to stick around, if she wants to talk, let her.

Sheila said...

Oh my goodness, what a scary thing to happen! Thank God she is OK.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm glad she's ok. And glad that the impact gave the drunk driver a flat, or he would have just gone on his merry way.