Friday, June 13, 2008

Official "Thursday" Weigh-In

I kinda forgot to do this last night, and I was kinda too tired when I did kinda remember.

My child has reverted to her infancy, when she wouldn't go to sleep no matter what we tried. Know what I spend 2-3 hours doing EVERY night now? Trying to get her to stay in bed long enough to fall asleep!

I'm going to blame it on our pastor's wife. Two weeks ago in Sunday School, we were talking about parents not having time with each other, who at the same time, let their kids stay up just as late as they do. She admonished us all to put our kids to bed one or two hours before we plan to go to bed, so that we can have time to ourselves or time with our spouse. They have an eight-year-old daughter and a teenage son, and she said their daughter goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. every night.

And I was on the back row, with a hearty, "Amen!" Because I've been putting Anna Marie to bed at a decent time for years, so that I could get some other things accomplished.

Guess what - after that lesson, this kid has given me trouble every single night!

I've resorted to waking her up early, instead of letting her sleep as late as she wants. (Which, by the way, didn't work last night, but will be tried again because we have to get up SUPER early tomorrow morning for her dance recital.) I know it's summer, but the better schedule she keeps now, the less trouble we'll have getting back on track in August.

Oh, that's right - you want to know what I weigh, don't you?

148. Down a half pound from last week, but still a pound away from my all-time low of 147.

But I'm going to get there - never you fear!

If I can survive Anna Marie's second infancy.

5 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

My best mom advice" Keep up your regular bedtime routine, with some quiet time. Put her to bed. She doesn't have to go to sleep, but she has to stay in bed - not negotiable! My son used to have a flashlight and some books. The girls would use the sleep timer on the clock radio.

Good luck!

Valerie said...

childrens ny-quil.


hmmmm. maybe that's why i never got repeat business as a babysitter.

Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer in bed time. Because by the time it's 8:00 (9:00 in the summer or weekends), I'm tired of the kids, and they are tired of me, so we all need a break and they need to go to bed. I hope she'll sleep again, soon. Just shut your door, then she won't be able to come and talk to you while you are sleeping, right?

Wendster said...

I'm no help at all. We had that rule of quiet time. "Just stay in your room and look at books, OK honey?" ... but I'd wake at 2 am and he was STILL looking at books, WIDE AWAKE! We finally just got mean and treated him like he was being "bad" (we never say bad) if he stayed up. The light has to be out and he has to be laying down. It's been a long fought battle but he's FINALLY going to sleep shortly after we put him in bed .... which is around 11 pm!!!
We are terrible parents. But since he has Kindergarten in the fall, I'm going to have to turn that around. LOL. My number is up.

Happy Father's day to your most excellent hubby/father.

Karen Hossink said...

Oh! I hope the bed-time issues work themselves out soon. I feel your pain.
It isn't that mine is refusing to stay in bed. He is just having a hard time getting to sleep. He is an anxiety-driven little guy and when he has trouble falling asleep he gets upset - which puts him in that downward spiral. It's hard to reason with him at those times so I do my best to be compassionate, but it ain't easy!
Hang in there, friend. One way or another we'll get through this!