Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I just realized, I haven't cooked in four days.

Not since lunch on Sunday have I had to cook.

Brilliant!

Here's the rundown of my week, so far:

Sunday night, we went to our small group meeting. We had hamburgers, graciously donated by Peasnap Catering, and I didn't have to cook them! WIN!

Then, on Monday, my dad was at my house using the internet when I got home, and he and Jason were in the middle of something, and I realized that I had just a few minutes to get Anna Marie to Vacation Bible School at our friend's church. Since they feed them at VBS, and Jason and I hadn't eaten, he had me pick up some Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

(Side note: that stuff is really good, so don't go telling me that it isn't as healthy as it pretends to be, because we're eating it at least once a week now. LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!)

Tuesday, I worked late, and my mom took AM to VBS. Jason ate popcorn for dinner in my absence - since I didn't know what time I'd be home, I told him to go ahead and eat - and I heated up some fat free refried beans in the mircowave.

(Microwave does not equal cooking, people.)

Today - oh, what can I say about today? What can I say about a day that really started at 10:30 last night, when my friend at the Sheriff's Office sent me a Facebook message to check my work email, because there had been an incident with a deputy, and I had a press release waiting. Except I CAN'T check my work email from home, because it includes some odd username/password combo that I don't have memorized for the webmail login. So I spent the next 30 minutes combing the websites of my competitors up north, and pieced together what had happened.

What had happened was: a guy freaked out, assaulted someone, stole a car, and left. Then, he killed a guy in a car on the side of the road. Then, he robbed a convenience store at gunpoint. After that, he kidnapped a relative, ran from a deputy, and tried to kill that deputy in two different ways before being shot himself.

He's facing at least half a dozen charges when he gets out of the hospital.

So anyway, after waiting two hours on a press conference to start today, and having my car run hot on the way back, and working through lunch, and then having a really, really long staff meeting, and then working overtime to finish a special section that had to go down today - well, let's just say I didn't argue any when Jason had brought home some grilled chicken salads.

And will I have to cook tomorrow night? Nope. It's our weekly trip to Backyard Burger. And I may not cook Friday either, because Anna Marie is spending the night with a cousin so we may take advantage of another date night.

So folks, the moral of this story is - sometimes, when the world is crumbling around you, at least you won't have to spend what little time you have left slaving away in the kitchen.

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

and think of all the dishwashing you are avoiding. Yay!