Friday, January 30, 2009

Official "Thursday" Weigh-In

Editor's note: the Official Thursday Weigh-In is taking a short hiatus, while Melissa panics because she's gained another pound this week and just about burst into tears right in front of the weigh-in lady at the scales. Thank you for your patience.

So, instead of talking about how well my weight loss journey is NOT going, let's talk about how well Anna Marie did NOT do at the reading fair yesterday, shall we?



She was pretty upset when I called her yesterday afternoon. She complained about the whitespace on her board (although that's not what she called it, that's what it was) compared to the other kids. I tried explaining to her that I worked in designing things for a living, and that whitespace was important - otherwise, the important message you were trying to convey would get lost in the visual clutter.

Her response? "I don't get it."

Of course you don't dear girl. You are seven years old. For you, more is more.

Last night was parents night, when we got to see our kids' projects all set up - code for "check out the competition and see what you can do next year."

In reality, Anna Marie's project was at least as good as the best ones out there. Yes, I'm probably a bit biased, but I didn't see a single entry that was as creatively done as hers.

One of the judges asked who had done her board, and she said that she and I had. Truthfully, she should have said that it was her and my Cricut, because that diecutting machine saved my everloving sanity this week. It really did most of the work!

But today is a fresh start, for both my weight and Anna Marie's dreams of reading fair glory. I got up extra early today to exercise, because if I don't, I won't make it a priority. And Anna Marie has a whole other year to plan for the next reading fair.

Her only requirement: one of the characters must allow her to wear that red cape again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for the Cricut. I don't have one, but lots of my friends have them, and they are really cool.

Steff said...

Her project looks great and she's adorable in her cape! You must have your hands so full with her. Haha. :)

You've made such tremendous progress on your weight loss journey. Just keep at it. You're probably as tired of hearing that as I'm tired of hearing what I was talking about on my blog. Aww friend...just know that I'm thinking of you and wishing your pounds to a very far away place!