Monday, January 21, 2008

No, I didn't turn into a pumpkin


But then again, we left the ball at 9 p.m.

(Rosemary, Mary and I all had to get up the next morning for church, and none of us was interested in the live auction or dancing, so we skedaddled.)

It was a lovely evening.

I wound up wearing my old standby, my black wrap dress that is actually a size too big but it's pretty stretchy so it's OK.

I didn't really get any pictures. I get so tired of not being able to enjoy events because I'm stuck behind the camera! I'm supposing it must be how my sister feels.

When we got to the arena where the ball was held, we figured out that we wouldn't be sitting together! I didn't even think about there being assigned table numbers!

Apparently, they had me at the front. Because I'm the "press." So my table was right up near the stage. I was the first one there, and I had my pick of dessert to sit in front of.

I plopped myself down right in front of a piece of caramel cheesecake. I'm no fool!

I thought I'd be dining alone, which, while it may have looked sad to others would've been fine by me. But about the time I got through the buffet line and back to my table, I was joined by the couple who owns the newspaper in the county just south of ours.

See, I told you. The press. The couple admitted they didn't even bring a camera - another reason I refrained from whipping mine out too much. I didn't want them to feel unprepared.

I was glad to sit next to two people I'd had some contact with. They were very, very nice. And my husband, who was reluctant to come because he had no tux, needn't have worried. There were lots of people in just plain suits - including the mayor of our city.

A group of kids from a blues museum's music outreach program performed. They were cute, down to the little guy playing the drums who barely came to the top of the kit.

The main honorees were a couple, originally from Mississippi, who had settled in L.A. and made a name for themselves - Sam and Mary Haskill. He retired as an agent from the William Morris Agency, and she's a former Miss America and current singer. They're apparently very philanthropic, those two, and currently building a house so they can move back down here.

There were also lots of pre-taped commercials from event sponsors, most of which could've used a little editing.

I had a good time. The ladies and I had a blast on the way up there and back, and I saw several people from around town that I knew. And I really did enjoy sitting with that publisher and his wife.

And, save for that slice of heaven cheesecake, I was even a very good girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I"m so glad you went! Hooray for you!