Friday, January 04, 2008

Official "Thursday" Weigh In

Yeah, this is bad.

Y'all, I gained another pound this week! And, I've had to take a long, hard look at myself in the process.

Not a pretty sight.

While I did "better" this week, did I really do what was required to lose the weight?

No.

I had way too many days of keeping up with my food intake in my head, which doesn't work well at all. Because my head tends to forget the trips past Shirley's Candy Dish of Doom, which contains not only peppermint nougats emblazoned with Christmas trees, but now also holds almond Hershey's Kisses, AND some peppermint Andes.

I didn't even know there was such an animal as a peppermint crunch Andes, but, Heaven help me, they're good.

So, in the spirit of several other bloggers of note, I'm making some goals for the new year.

1. WRITE IT DOWN. I'm serious. I'm writing everything down. Whether it'll look good to the casual observer or not. No more keeping up with it in my head, because I've got enough stuff to keep up with up there as it is.

2. KEEP EXERCISING I did better about that this week, but I suspect that my weight gain was either 1. a continuation from my Christmas indescretions, 2. a result of the Chinese food I had Wednesday for lunch, or 3. the new pants I was wearing that were a bit heavy.

3. WATER. Do I really have to go into this one?

4. DAIRY. During the Discovery Health Channel's spate of shows on the super obese over the holidays (scare tactics, anyone?) they had a segment on dairy. And how that lowfat dairy helps burn fat. And I'm all about burnin' some extra fat, y'all, because I've got plenty to burn!

5. VEGGIES. I used to buy a bag of pre-cut veggies, originally meant for steaming, and keep them in the fridge at work. I haven't done that lately, because, well, when I went to the store the veggies didn't look all that great. I've got to be better about the raw veggie thing.

6. VITAMINS. On another scare-you-skinny show (BBC America's You Are What You Eat) this week, a woman was told she had bad PMS because her magnesium levels were low. Oh my heck, people, get me some magnesium. Because I go pretty much halfway insane when it gets close to that time.

In closing, I've been thinking a lot lately about an old song I used to hear in church: "This joy that I have, the world didn't give it to me, the world didn't give it and the world can't take it away."

Know the only thing that can take away my weight loss success? Me and my big mouth.

And Shirley's Candy Dish of Doom.

Happy New Year, y'all!

2 comments:

Steff said...

Those are great goals! You know I joined before Thanksgiving and promptly fell off the wagon as the holidays hit, but I'm going back on Tuesday and getting back on track. It is nice to know that all of us WWs will have a support system!

You've made so much progress in your weightloss. Sounds like you know what you've got to do get those results you want. You can do it!

Melissa said...

Thanks Steff - I was almost in tears after I weighed in, and another lady (who has lost about the same amount of weight, but has another 70 lbs. to go) reached over, took my hand, and said, "You're going to be fine! It's a new year, and you're going to do it this year!" Which, of course, made me want to cry too!

What would we do without support?