Friday, January 25, 2008

Official "Thursday" Weigh-In

It's still Thursday somewhere, right?

This delay was not due to my dreading typing the results - I maintained at 159 this week - but because of my late night last night.

I got news of two deaths close to me on Wednesday morning - our office manager, Faye, lost her mother, and my BFF Marcia (yes, the one who is getting married next week) lost an aunt.

She sent me a text yesterday asking me to come see her last night, because she's just so devastated about the whole thing. And after seeing her, I understand the depth of this family's grief. I knew her aunt, and this whole family is just like family to me. She went into the hospital on Tuesday for a minor surgery, and died Wednesday morning after her husband had left for work.

After I weighed in (and spent 15 minutes in a drivethrough with only one other person in front of me! Ugh!) I drove the 40 miles or so to Marcia's house. It was so good to see her and her parents. We talked about her aunt, we talked about our families, and we talked about the wedding.

It's going to be bittersweet for everyone, trying to enjoy next weekend, but I had seen the aunt at Marcia's shower and I know how excited she was about the wedding. I think the couple is going to memorialize her at the service.

And I also know that the aunt lived her life for Christ, and I know where she is right now, but that doesn't mean that those she leaves behind (her husband of 40 years, her two children and their spouses and her grandchildren, among others) won't miss her until they get to see her again.

Mortality. It's a heavy thing.

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

Prayer and ((hugs)). It is so hard to lose someone so unexpectedly.

:(