Friday, November 17, 2006

Amanda in London: Day 1


Doesn't that sound like it should have some sort of urgent music behind it, and I'm Katie Couric, and it's some sort of urgent situation?

Anyway, I just talked to my mom, and she had talked to Amanda about two hours ago. Poor thing didn't get a bit of sleep as she crossed the Atlantic on her all-night flight.

And this girl does not do well on no sleep.

She took the train from Gatwick to her area of London, but she couldn't check in yet at the hostel (although I think it was about 3:00 p.m. at the time) She told the people at the hostel she was hungry, and they directed her to a place where she ate some pea soup and bread.

What a very London thing to eat! Her first meal in England - I'm so excited. And I'm sure she took plenty of pictures of the food.

She probably will not, however, be indulging in those other two most-London like things, namely fish and chips and Guiness. Being a vegetarian, the fish is out, and being a teetotaler, the beer is out.

(Some friends advised her that it was only proper to go to a pub and get a pint, but since she's never had a drop, and doesn't know what it would do to her, she figured it wouldn't be smart to start drinking in a strange country she was visiting alone.)

As I was starting to feel better about her being over there, Donna (at the Quiet Life) reminded me that her daughter had gone over there by herself last summer - and she's only 17! I started to freak out belatedly for her!

So, keep both Amanda and us in your prayers for the next 12 days. I'm sure we'll need all we can get.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Too bad she will miss out on the fish and chips. Hubby and I loved it over there. But there is so much else to experience, I'm sure she'll have a great time!

Melissa said...

I kind of worried about her going over there by herself, and getting bored.

Then someone reminded me that she was going to London!

I'm sure she will find plenty to do.

Valerie said...

how 'bout...
Amanda in London: the Internet Waits.

your sister is soooo lucky! i wish i could go...Husband & i talk about going to Ireland, but it takes bucks and plenty of time..i have enough vacation, but he doesn't...so sad...

Melissa said...

I like that - and like I said, it needs some urgent music!

She thought she'd take a day trip to Ireland, but she has to see how her funds are going.

And although she had enough vacation time to go, she had to quit her job to be able to leave for that long.