Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Boys, you can come back now.

Girl talk over - and thanks for those who left comments and emailed me. Very, very helpful you were. (That's my Yoda impression for the day, by the way).

Oh, I had SO much to post yesterday, but I was away from my computer from 7:45 a.m. until after 5:00, (You know, MADIDI!) and then after I got home and got dinner, and put Little AM to bed (which took a complete hour!) I had to finish working on some calendars I got rooked into laying out to help a fomer co-worker.



I seem to be getting rooked into a lot these days.

Take, for instance, yesterday at Madidi. (And yes, I should've had someone take my picture in front of the sign, but I was tired and cranky and that would not have been a good idea.) I guess I was blinded by the thoughts of an excellent meal and the prospect of meeting one Mr. Morgan Freeman his own self, and I totally DID NOT GET the whole point of the day.

I thought I was going to a "tabletop exercise" like the one I'd attended at our local college a few months ago, when folks from all different segments of life got together and discussed what to do if/when the bird flu hits here in Tate County.

WRONG.

I was there because a community foundation from this area has partnered with some slightly-shady (at least that's how it seemed to me) community organization headquartered in NYC to get money to combat childhood obesity in the south.

So, I apparently am now part of a steering committee for my county, which has come up with a plan for a program, which, if we get funding (we'll find out in a few weeks) we will be implementing in the public school system next fall.

YIKES! That is such a huge undertaking, that I don't really know how I fit in to the whole thing. Usually, people like me to be on their committees, because, well, I'm the media for our county. They like the free publicity. It isn't that I don't want to combat childhood obesity - I fight that battle every time I take my five year old into a fast food joint and make her have apples and milk instead of fries and soda - but I don't know if I can put one more thing on my plate. Especially since this program would begin just as Anna Marie is entering kindergarten.

But I'm guessing I don't have much of a choice at this point. I went to their meeting. I ate their food. I'm now locked in.

Oh, and yesterday was Jason's birthday. He worked all day, and then was so tired he was in his PJs (new ones I bought him for his birthday and gave to him a couple days early - GAH, we are such old fogeys!) and he sent me out to KFC for some dinner. Festive, eh?

We'll make up for it tonight, when we go to Spaghetti Warehouse for a combination Happy Birthday Jason/Bon Voyage Amanda party. She's leaving tomorrow night for LONDON! Oh.my.gosh!

And now, well, now I have to get off this blog and catch up on all the things I should've been doing around here yesterday.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

how the bloody hell did you get suckered into THAT?! dang...such a bummer...did you even get to meet Mr. Freeman after all that?

Happy Birf-daze, Jason! Hope you don't cry too much saying goodbye to your sister, sweetie!

Melissa said...

No, Mr. Freeman was reportedly in Hollywood making a movie. He was a total no-show!

My sister is kinda glad that I have a deadline tomorrow and can't take her to the airport - she's worried about emotional scenes. Therefore, she's getting Mr. No Emotion himself, my husband to take her. Brilliant plan.

And I'll pass along the "birfday" wishes!

Jolene George said...

That would be quite an undertaking.
Happy Birthday to Jason...I totally understand the tired old fogey. :o) The celebration can wait until he's not so tired. At least he's enjoying his new jammies. :o)

Donna Boucher said...

Did you get to eat?

Melissa said...

Yeah, Donna, I did! The food was really nothing to write home about - some sort of chicken breast stuffed with what appeared to be cornmeal (polenta, maybe?), steamed green beans, and a salad. Oh, they had couscous too, but I didn't get any of that.

Like I said, nothing special. I was expecting better, but hey, it was a free meal!