Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wipeout!


That's what the last couple of days have been.

An (almost) wipeout.

(Speaking of which - does anyone remember the 80's rap group The Fat Boys? They had a song called "Wipeout" they did with the Beach Boys, and I had a copy of it when I was in middle school. The lyrics started going through my head for no apparent reason yesterday morning when I was loading the dishwasher.)

We're still having computer problems. Yesterday I had to work in spurts, putting together my Hokey Christmas Greetings Section a bit at a time. I again spent most of the day with two of my coworkers, getting to know one another better, while our poor classifieds/IT/whatever needs done around here guy, Travis, worked on our problem.

He stayed on the phone to our DSL company's tech support until 7 p.m. last night, and got most of our problems fixed.

However, today, none of us can print. We're hooked up wirelessly to one main printer, and all that comes out for us is pages and pages of gibberish.

The solution we've come up with: make a PDF of whatever we need to print, and then print from Acrobat. Seems the only program having a problem is Quark.

Our "official IT guy" hasn't returned our calls today. He's a couple hundred miles away in Jackson, and we aren't supposed to call him into the office (per our publisher) unless there's a real emergency.

I think this qualifies.

At any rate, I got my pages finished (still waiting on a couple of last minute ads) on the greetings section. And now I can start to worry about the next two days, wherein I have to do all the stuff I haven't been able to do the last three days.

At least our publisher is in Atlanta, and won't be breathing down my back Friday.

Thank God for small miracles.

(Hey, did I mention that it's 70 degrees here? In December? Crazy mid-south weather!)

No comments: