Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Where do I start?

Ok, first of all, is it just me, or is Blogger acting a bit buggy lately? I keep having to refresh when I visit a blog, or even just post to mine.

Most annoying.

Anyway - thanks for those of you who have already posted your answers to last week's meme. Yes, I should've gotten to everyone to let them know they were tagged by now, but for real, I have not been home this weekend.

Friday I left the office at lunch time, and we ate Subway with my parents. I had visions of a nice, quiet afternoon at home - usually on days like this, we go to Memphis, but gas prices are making us more homebody-like - but a friend of my dad's came over to have Jason look at a laptop he'd picked up somewhere. That was so old, it was running Windows 2000.

And stayed for seven hours.

He was no bother, really, but when you've got company, it's still hard to relax. I did end up walking to city hall to pay the water bill, and then back to the office to let my boss's wife in the building (she didn't know we'd closed early, and she didn't bring a key.)

Mom and dad came by shortly after our company left, to get Anna Marie for the night.

But did I sleep in on Saturday? Only if by "sleeping in" you mean "sleeping until 7 a.m. when you normally arise at 6 a.m."

And where did we go to lunch? Subway again. (Anna Marie's on a real Subway kick right now. At least it isn't McD's!) Then, we drove to the next county to pick up a swing set my mom was buying for The Kid.

Oh, my poor feet though - all that walking on Friday had been done in flip flops, and I'd rubbed little blisters on the insides of what Anna Marie refers to as the "thumb toe" on each foot. And the shoes I was wearing Saturday rubbed blisters on my "pinky toes!" I was one bandaged up girl by the end of the day.

Sunday after church, we had just enough time to go grocery shopping, get home, change clothes, and get to the church picnic. Several hundred acres of rolling hills, lakes, and deer - after all, it was a deer camp - and it was just beautiful.

We had taken my mom with us, and when we took her back home Anna Marie had mysteriously found a way to settle in for the night! We, of course, did not want to disturb her relaxation, so there she stayed.

Yesterday we took some chicken breasts and turkey burgers to mom's and grilled them. My sister-in-law made steak kabobs, and I also wrapped onions in foil and put them on the grill. Mmm, mmm, good!

So, this morning, I brought Anna Marie to work with me for a bit. Jason had to go meet the food truck at the auction, and do inventory, and she'd have had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to go with him. She stayed here a couple of hours before my dad came to get her.

At lunch time, my mom called to say that she was bringing my brother and his wife to town to eat but that Anna Marie wanted - you guessed it - Subway. Being the good mom I am, I went to get her.

Except - when I went back to my car not five minutes later, it wouldn't start! I went back inside and got my brother, who declared my battery dead. He pulled his car around, and after a protracted battle, got it boosted off. I left it running, went back inside, and got The Kid for lunch.

Except - when we went to leave Subway after lunch, it was dead again! Mom was a few doors down in the same shopping center, so I walked down there and called Jason. He asked me to have my mom bring me back to work and said he'd look at the battery when he got back down here.

I would've just gone and bought another battery, but I know he doesn't want to do that - especially since my windshield finished cracking Sunday, and I need to get my car inspected, and I can't get that inspection with the crack, so I'm getting a new windshield tomorrow.

If it doesn't rain.

Of course, if my battery is dead, it won't matter whether it rains or not - my car will remain at the Subway parking lot.

Last year we thought the battery was dead, but when he disconnected the cables a bunch of corrosion fell off and it worked fine. I think that's what he's hoping will happen now.

It's not as bad as it could be - my brother was there to boost me off, and my mom was close by to give me a ride back to work. And if I need to go anywhere on newspaper business, we do have a company car I can use.

Maybe if he does have to buy a battery, he can also get a new radio antenna to replace the one lopped off by rogue balloon strings last Tuesday.

When it rains, y'all, it really does pour.


wendster said...

Amen and amen. But when it pours, it also pours down solutions and blessings. That's what keeps me going.

LOL! There is a word verification box that has NO WORD TO TYPE IN above it! I guess I am supposed to guess the random letter assortment + caps or not caps for each letter .... let's see how many variations of THAT are possible! No idea.

I clicked on enter and it refreshed and put a random word up for me:


I don't think I would have guessed it.

Melissa said...

Ha ha - those word verification things can be helpful (like when they cut down on spam) or annoying (like when you're supposed to be clairvoyant.)

Thanks for the reminder of the blessings that rain down too. I have so much to be thankful for, but sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

Paige said...

Whoa--lots of bad luck. So sorry! I hope by now the car is happy and your toes are all better. Enjoy that subway!

Melissa said...

The car is happier - it still needs an antenna, but I have a new windshield and, after driving to three different places, I also have a valid inspection sticker.

(I thought for a minute I was going to have to show some cleavage to get it, but turns out I didn't need to after all.)

And the toes are much improved, as well. Thanks for asking!