Saturday, August 05, 2006

On the brink . . .

Of turning 30.

As I write this, it's roughly nine hours until I turn 30. (I was born at 6:35 a.m. Ironic, since I'm much more of a night owl than a morning person.)

Today was the day we "celebrated." Let me give you a rundown.



1. I am officially a soccer mom. (This didn't have anything to do with the celebration. It's just part of what we had to do today). We took Anna Marie to sign up for Upwards Soccer at a local church (OK, so I don't guess 15 miles is local). She also had to show them her mad soccer skills, so they could put her on a team. We were there at 8:00 a.m., so needless to say we had to get up pretty darn early.

2. We met Aunt Esther and Alison at Pancho's for my yearly birthday lunch. (Tomorrow is Aunt Esther's birthday too. I like to think of myself as the best birthday present she ever got.) I ate the Tijuana Taco Salad, with LOTS of Pancho's dressing. And no, I don't know how many points it was. Nor do I care. Jason admitted that he hadn't gotten around to getting me what he wanted to (a gift certificate for some clothes) so he told me just to take the cash. Sweet. Mom got me a GC, but to a store called Special Daze here in town. I walked down there (it's only about two blocks from home) when we got back, but they'd just closed. I'll have to wait until Monday.



3. After lunch, we went to Peabody Place (across the street) and all got different desserts. Mine was a mocha light frappuchino from Starbucks. Neither Dad nor Aunt Esther had ever been to Peabody Place before. Anna Marie was very excited, and took Aunt Esther on a tour.



4. Sushi! Amanda just learned how to make the stuff, and she came over to make some here tonight. It was great! I guess they were kind of like California rolls - rice, avocado, cucumber, and carrots. Oh, and the wasabi/soy dipping sauce - I'm craving the stuff now! We watched the Bewitched movie too. I kept hearing bad reviews, but I thought it was quite cute. I love Will Ferrell so much - he reminds me of my brother Jonathan.

And now, my friends, it is time for bed. I've already started spying grey hairs, and I guess I could be like my Mamaw Coley and either pluck them out or dye my hair. I went a big part of my life thinking she was naturally not going grey, and then my mom told me about her Fancy Full/hair plucking habit. I was shocked.

When I awake, I'll be "thirtysomething."

See you on the other side.

3 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Life is beautiful.....enjoy!

Melissa said...

Thanks Donna!

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow, I'll e-mail pictures of sushi/birthday lunch people.