Monday, August 07, 2006

Thirty.

It's all a big joke until it happens to you.

(That was the card Marcia sent me. I thought it quite clever.)

Well, now. There it is. I'm 30. It doesn't feel much different from 29. I think that's part of the problem.

See, I think of 30 as an "adult" age. I remember a few years ago a friend at church in SC turning 30, and I thought she was a grown up. She had a son and a set of twins, and she was considered an adult at church. I was considered, I guess, a "young adult." Now, I don't think I'm the same kind of "30" that Kim was when she turned 30.

(Strange sounding, isn't it?)

Amanda was gracious enough to send me some pictures from Sunday. One of which is her real sushi. Seems she got kind of offended at the stock sushi photo I put in my last post.



That's me with my Aunt Esther, the one with whom I share a birthday. She gave me some money, and I think I'll buy a purse in honor of her.



That's me with my cousin Alison, Esther's younger daughter. It isn't that we didn't invite her big sister Cheree, but she was on a trip with her in-laws.



Ok, this is sort of embarassing, but I don't know why. We were passing by a "bling cart" at Peabody Place Mall, and Anna Marie spied a big Playboy Bunny necklace. "Look, Mama, a bunny!" Oh, to be that innocent!



The promised picture of Amanda with her real sushi. Sorry sis, the other was all I had to work with at the time.

Jason was so good and humored me yesterday. He took me to WalMart to get some cupcakes. The only ones with white frosting and buttercream icing were Crayola - they had crayon-box rings on top! Awesome! We get the BEST cakes when we wait until the last minute to pick up what they have premade, like the time Jason went to get one for mine and Amanda's birthday and it was a hunting-themed cake complete with a 3-D deer magnet you could take off. That magnet is still on mom's fridge. He then took my by Radio Shack to give Lindsey one, but she had gone home for lunch, so he then took me to Jeremy and Lindsey's apartment so I could deliver a couple. Next, we went to mom's house to eat the rest, and then he took me to the mall in Southaven and dropped me off so I could spend a $15 gift certificate Lane Bryant sent me. I ended up with two shirts, and only had to spend $5.

He then humored me one last time, by waiting in Southaven when Marcia called from Oxford (an hour away) to see if we wanted to get some pizza with her for my birthday. I'm telling you, he's a good man.

So, I have a gray hair (or two). And, I'm starting to get a few "laugh lines" around my mouth. My goal for the future is to stop always wishing to be someone and somewhere else, and concentrate on being the best "me" I can be.

My latter will be greater than my former.

No comments: