Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Thirty things about me.
I was going to do this yesterday, but it got kind of long with the pictures and all. Actually, I should've done this Sunday, but I wasn't in front of a computer long enough. (This sharing one computer thing has GOT TO STOP!)
So, in honor of my recently passed 30th birthday, here are thirty things I've done in the last thirty years. In no particular order, just the order I happen to think of them in.
In the last thirty years, I have:
1. Spent two Christmases in Dallas ringing bells for the Salvation Army. Yes, some places do hire people, and pay them quite well, for that type of work.
2. Spent two weeks in New Mexico, conducting a youth camp on a reservation.
3. Spent one summer in North Carolina working at a home for children whose parents couldn't (or wouldn't) take care of them.
4. Lived in Tenneessee, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and, briefly, Texas.
5. Gotten married (eight years ago).
6. Been pregnant twice, given birth once.
7. Lived with my family.
8. Had my family live with me.
9. Worked for the Journal of the Islamic Medical Association of North America. (It was before 9/11, so no, I don't know how my editor felt about it.)
10. Ran a soup kitchen/food pantry.
11. Visited North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Arkansas, Alabama, Indiana, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Arizona, Missouri, Kentucky, and Canada (twice).
12. Sold Premier Jewelry (briefly).
13. Written some books.
14. Written some songs.
15. Delivered some sermons.
16. Worked at three different desks (and positions) in the same office - the one I'm in now.
17. Entered a two-mile walk, and got a trophy for it (in my age group, not overall!)
18. Started this blog.
19. Driven 1,000 mile round trips by myself, many, many times.
20. Driven the same car for 10 years (and it wasn't anywhere near new when I got it).
21. Completed my bachelor's degree in English.
22. Accepted Christ into my life (I said this was no particular order, so don't get upset that He's not first).
23. Competed in several academic competitions, some of which were on TV.
24. Moved more times than I care to remember.
25. Lost loved ones, and met some new ones.
26. Learned to eat tofu, and like it.
27. Gained weight, and lost some of it.
28. Learned to drive a manual transmission, and then forgot because of lack of practice.
29. Eaten sushi.
30. Started scrapbooking.
There are more, but I thought I'd be kind and limit it to 30. Some of the things I haven't done include ice skate, learn to whistle, and run a marathon (but you knew that already, didn't you?)
Today is also the one year anniversary of the passing of my maternal grandfather, Rev. G.L. Coley. He was 91 years old, and he led a man to Christ just a couple of weeks before he "moved away to be with God" as my mother says.
One day, Papaw, we'll see you again.