Sunday, August 27, 2006

This birthday business is hard.


So, Anna Marie's birthday isn't until October 2.

However, I have not done ONE IOTA of planning. Not one. I woke up in the middle of the night this past week with that realization.

Last year, we had her party at Chick-Fil-A. It cost us $7 per kid, and we had a 7 kid minimum. I ended up eating one of the kids meals (which is probably what I would've ordered anyway). They provided a meal for each kid, cake, ice cream, balloons, and some party favors. But, I had to have it at like 10 a.m., which was a little early for eating lunch, because they wanted us out before the lunch rush.

This year, I'm thinking I don't want to do the fast food route. The trouble is, if I have it at my house, most of the people who come live almost an hour away. The locale last year was a halfway point for both sets of folks.

But I don't know where else to have it. There is a park about 15 minutes up the road, but I'm afraid of outdoor parties. You know, weather and all.

The other dilemma: a theme.

See, she's into super heroes. WAY into super heroes. I'm trying not to bend to gender stereotypes and don't really say much to discourage her. Except with this birthday thing. She asked for a Spiderman party last year. We got blessed with some Nemo stuff from a lady at our church, so that's what we used. Problem solved, at least for one year.

Now, she's back on the superhero track. And she doesn't want any of this pink Supergirl stuff either. I could deal with that. I could deal with Wonder Woman, because she was my absolute favorite when I was Anna Marie's age. Problem is, she doesn't know much about Wonder Woman or Supergirl. Seems there aren't many cartoons of the two of them.

I tried to steer her to soccer. We got a catalogue in the mail yesterday, and I let her look through it. What does she gravitate towards? BATMAN.

I know I'm being silly. What do I care if my daughter would rather play with Superman than Disney Princess? I don't want her being that stereotypical princess (besides the "I deserve it" attitude I think it portrays, I also don't want her growing up to think that a prince is going to sweep her off her feet. Cause honey, that isn't how it works in real life.)

The thing that concerns me is what other parents think. I know my little spitfire is not a "girly girl." That's OK. I've adjusted to that. I'm concerned about her getting made fun of. By whom? Other parents, probably. Most of the kids coming to her party (my cousins' kids, her babysitter's son) will be boys. They won't mind the Batman theme at all. But what would some other parents think, if I invite their daughter to a super hero party?

I know I can't have it both ways. I can't have her not be a "diva" and not be a "super hero" either. There has to be some sort of compromise.

I have to find that middle ground, more for my sake than hers.

After all, I received a Spiderman doll for my third birthday. She comes by it honest.

No comments: