Saturday, July 08, 2006

Girls' night out

Yeah, and don't start having that old Judds song going through your head, either.

Amanda and I had our annual "Girls Night Out" last night, like we do every year when Jason and AM go out of town. It's our third annual. Aren't you impressed?

The first year, she and I went to Studio on the Square to see Napoleon Dynamite and ate at Pho Hua Binh. MMM, Vietnamese food! I was introduced to it for the first time, and I fell head-over-heels for tofu with pineapple.

Last year, it was a "Girls Day Out" with mom. We saw Batman Begins and ate at Saigon Le. (More Vietnamese food. Am I sensing a pattern?) We also made it over to TCBY for some Dulce de Leche fro yo. Good stuff.

This year, it was back to nighttime. We left work an hour early so we could catch a matinee at Studio on the Square of A Prairie Home Companion. Yes, we left work early to save $2, and missed making somewhat more than that. Whatever.

We were the only people in the theater under the age of 60. The last time that happened to me was Spring Break '97, when I went to Virginia with Rachel Harrison and we saw a matinee of Sense and Sensibility. We also sneaked Dairy Queen food into the theater and ate it on the back row, but I haven't done that since then either.

I have been a fan of Garrison Keillor ever since I was a child. I know, I'm strange. I also used to watch 20/20 on Friday nights when I was in elementary school. Anyway, the movie was enjoyable for me, who is very familiar with his work (I've also read several of his books) and for my sister, who is somewhat familiar but not as much as I am.

The only thing is, it has this really weird side story that almost ruined the movie. Almost. We were pretty creeped out by the whole thing.

But, the Hunan tofu and spring rolls afterwards were very good, and we got home at a decent time. I slept until about 9 a.m., and then I went out and walked a couple of miles. I am now at work, because 1. Jason took the computer, so I can't get on the 'net, and 2. I needed to charge my iPod, and it didn't come with a home charger.

There is work I could be doing, but I'm not. I'm not even going to check the voice mail that a little red light tells me is on my phone. I'm off until Wednesday, and they can just deal with it.

As soon as the iPod gets finished, I'm back home for lunch to eat fat-free hot dogs on light buns with kraut. Life is good!

No comments: